Industrial Steel Wheels: Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to common questions for all of Reliance Foundry's industrial steel wheels
Can't find the information you're looking for? Contact Reliance Foundry's Sales Department at any time.
How long are delivery/lead times for industrial steel wheels?
All standard, in-stock products are shipped from our head office. Items begin processing and shipping upon date of payment or acceptance of credit terms. Allow up to 1–3 weeks for processing and shipping to most North American locations. High-volume orders and custom machining or bushings may require an additional 2–3 weeks. Processing and shipping times can vary according to volume and seasonal constraints. Fully customized wheel orders may require as long as 16 weeks or more to allow for proper consultation, design, prototyping and final manufacture and shipment. For a more accurate estimate, contact Reliance Foundry's Sales Department.
Where do I find specifications for your steel wheels?
Detailed product information can be found on individual item pages or on our Wheels Resources/Downloads page. Resources include Product Drawings (PDF) and AutoCAD Drawings (DWG).
Where do I find steel wheel drawings?
Detailed drawings for all products can be found on individual item pages or on our Wheels Resources/Downloads page under the Product Drawing (PDF) and Autocad Drawings (DWG) columns.
What is a wheel flange?
A flange is an external ridge around the edge of a wheel used to keep wheels on a track. Wheels are available with a single or double flange.
Can you create custom wheels?
Yes. Reliance Foundry can design and manufacture custom-made wheels to meet requirements for specialized applications. Ordering custom wheels is similar to ordering custom castings. Customers should be prepared to provide information on specific application requirements. Customers should also note that fully customized wheels may require as long as 16 weeks or more to allow for proper consultation, design, prototyping, final manufacture and shipment. For more information, please contact the Reliance Foundry Sales Department at any time.
How do I determine my requirements for a safe working load (SWL)?
All Reliance Foundry industrial wheels feature clearly advertised SWL. To determine the required load capacity for a wheel within a vehicle assembly:
- Identify the total weight of the vehicle and its maximum load.
- Add an additional 25 percent (of the total weight) to allow a margin of error.
- Divide the total weight (including the additional 25 percent) by the number of wheels supporting the cart. The resulting number must be lower than the SWL of the wheel you intend to use.
Note: Identifying load requirements in this manner will only determine capacity for a wheel at rest. Other factors, such as the positioning of a load and travelling speed, can affect the overall required loads for individual wheels. For specific operations, an engineer should be consulted to determine the suitability of individual wheels for a project or work site.
How much weight can an industrial wheel support?
All Reliance Foundry industrial wheels feature an advertised safe working load (SWL). To ensure safe operation, wheels should not be used to support loads beyond advertised SWLs. Additionally, the amount of weight a wheel can bear will vary according to a number of factors:
- Type of stress placed on the wheel
- Direction in which loads are applied
- How frequently loads are applied
- How quickly loads are applied
- Manner in which a load sits against a wheel
- Speed of travel
- Track conditions
- Number of wheels used to carry a load
- Additional wheel customizations
- Interaction between supporting wheels
- Environmental conditions (temperature, moisture, chemical exposure, etc.)
How do I choose a wheel suitable for my specific application?
When selecting wheels for a specific application, a range of factors should be considered. For some operations, it may be necessary to consult an engineer to evaluate all factors to determine the suitability.
- Expected load: The load each wheel will be expected to bear.
- Environment: Temperature, moisture and other environmental conditions can have an effect on the long-term condition and service life of industrial wheels.
- Travel speed: Excessive speed can damage wheels and significantly shorten their working life.
- Track conditions: Misaligned tracks and/or damaged rail joints can have a negative impact on the operation and performance of industrial wheels.
- Load limits: Safe load demands should be evaluated with respect to the safe working load of any wheel before purchasing.
- Composition: Wheel compositions should be selected according to the types of load and track being used. Unsuitable compositions or material types can create unnecessary wear on tracks and may require more regular servicing.
- Anti-corrosion level: Some wheels are better equipped to withstand damp environments. Damp environments may require galvanization or stainless steel construction to withstand working conditions.
- Heat tolerance: Certain wheel compositions hold up better than others in high-heat environments.
How do I choose the proper wheel size?
Selecting the proper wheel for your application depends on a number of factors:
- Axle type
- Bore size
- Tread width
- Load rating
- Track size
- Tread diameter
- Shaft size
- Flange width
To determine the suitability of Reliance Foundry industrial wheels for your specific application, it may be necessary to consult a professional engineer. Technical information for all industrial wheels can be found at our Wheels Resources/Downloads page. For additional information or to enquire about custom wheel capabilities, contact Reliance Foundry's Marketing Department.